Makeup Recommendations

For those who have experienced me getting ready in the mornings, they know that I never leave the house without my face on. My face of makeup, that is.

I believe that makeup is just another method of expression, and is there to have fun. Remember: don’t put on makeup for anybody other than yourself. You should look how you want to, and that look should last! These are the products I really can’t live without. Tried and tested, these are my own opinions. I was not paid to say any of this. If you’re looking for new additions to your makeup drawer, or some products to experiment with this holiday season, consider these options.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade

I love a good, powerful brow. With a nearly perfect 5 star rating at Sephora and a 4.6 at Ulta, this eyebrow product is loved by many beauty addicts, including myself. It is a cream product, applied with an eyebrow or angled brush (sold separately so you can pick the tool of your choice, I use this brush). Its long-lasting formula makes it perfect for oily skin types or humid climates, so it works well here in San Antonio. For longer lasting brows, you can set this product with an eyebrow powder (this same brand makes a powder) or a brow gel. Don’t feel like paying for a fancy brand gel? You can get clear mascara at almost any drugstore.

BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Champagne Glow Palette

This small palette has a long name and produces great results. Highlighter is very trendy at the moment, and will likely be for some time. Not familiar with the product or a newbie to highlighting? This palette will be great for you. It features three different colors of BECCA’s highly-favored highlighter: Pearl, Champagne Pop, and Blushed Copper. For lighter skin tones, the Blushed Copper shade makes a great eyeshadow. Use a very small brush to put the Pearl shade on the browbone and inner corner of the eye, and a fan brush or highlighter brush to put the Champagne Pop shade on your cheekbones. This palette has a 4.5 star review at Sephora, the exclusive retailer of this product. Temptalia, arguably the queen of makeup reviews, gave it an A-.

Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in White Russian

This is the perfect lipgloss for those who want a “grown up” gloss: it has absolutely no shimmer or glitter in it. This provides a perfect peachy wash of color, good for those who want to add a shiny finish to a nude lipstick or those makeup minimalists (like me) who want more than bare lips. The Makeup Affair was very pleased with this gloss, commenting on its “[delicious] smell”, something that I am also fond of. However, be wary, The Makeup Affair and I agree: this is an expensive gloss. There are without a doubt some drugstore dupes available for those who don’t feel justified in spending the money. Revlon is my preferred drugstore brand.

Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray

If you’ve spent all morning perfecting your foundation and concealer, you’ll want it to last. This setting spray is perfect for the humidity and the occasional bouts of bad weather. It goes on in a fine mist and adds no color or excess shine to your makeup look. Urban Decay makes plenty of quality products, from eyeshadows to eyeliners and lipsticks, but this setting spray was one of the first of its kind available and made a lasting impression on the market. Apply in a T-shape across the face, and then in an X shape for the best results.

Benefit They’re Real! Mascara

Finding mascara that gives you the desired look is one of the hardest things to do. For both volume and length, I find that this mascara does the job. If you like a barely-there, soft eyelash look, this is not the product for you. This mascara brings the drama. I also find that it doesn’t smudge when applied on the bottom lashes, which is essential for the humidity. The top lashes will stay for a while too, which is good if you want a lasting look, but hard to remove. I’ve found that rubbing a small amount of Vaseline over the lashes and wiping it off with a cotton pad will get the makeup off. This product is rated 4.3 at Ulta and 4.5 at Birchbox.

Are there any makeup products you’ve found that last through the San Antonio weather? What works for you and your routine? Let me know by e-mailing [email protected].