Man injured after 50-foot fall from Biosciences roof

BSB

Monday afternoon at approximately 1:25 p.m. an unidentified man fell from the fourth floor Biosciences Building (BSB). At this time, it is undetermined whether the action was intentional.

According to biology doctoral student Stacie Harris, the man, who was described as an African-American in his early 20’s, fell behind her as she approached the parking lot.

“It sounded like a loud thud. You could probably hear it from the parking lot,” Harris said. “It sounded like someone had fired a gun; then I saw him laying there.”

Harris approached the scene and asked the man if he was ok and asked his name. A second student and professor approached the scene, and called the campus police.

The man was still alive, but dazed said Harris; however when she asked his name he was unresponsive and mumbling. His legs and ankle appeared to be broken, and blood was on his elbow as well as on the ground around him.

Harris estimates the time of the first responders’ arrival as being about ten minutes later. UTSA student Kirstin Dreiss was part of the group of 20 to 30 bystanders who saw the aftermath of the incident.

“I didn’t see his face. His face was all bandaged up; his legs were wrapped up,” Dreiss said.

The ambulance transported the man from the scene at around 1:45 p.m.

“He was laying where he had landed until they took him out,” Dreiss said.

By approximately 5:30 p.m. UTSA maintenance staff had closed the fourth floor of the BSB.

UTSAPD would not disclose any information on the man’s identity or where he was taken for medical treatment.