Three Roadrunners earn All-American honors at NCAA outdoor track and field Championships

Richard Garrett Jr.

Sophomores Richard Garrett Jr. and Keith Benford both earned All-America honors in June at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, which were contested at Drake Stadium.

Garrett Jr. recorded a 58-0 ½ (17.69m) measurement in the shot put, but that mark was not far enough to advance to the nine-man final. The Garland native finished his second national competition of the year in 14th place and that performance gave him his second second-team All-America certificate of the campaign. He placed 15th at March’s NCAA Indoor and is the only thrower in program history to earn All-America honors.

Meanwhile, Benford cleared 6-8 ¾ (2.05m) en route to a 23rd-place finish in the high jump, which was good for honorable mention accolades. The Pflugerville native became the first high jumper in program history to earn an All-America award.

The pair of certificates pushed UTSA’s all-time total to 11 in national outdoor competition and seven of those have come under the direction of ninth-year head coach Aaron Fox, including six in the last five seasons.

Senior Devon Bond earned second-team All-America honors during Saturday’s final day of competition at the NCAA Championships.

The Trenton, N.J., native finished 16th in the field of 24 triple jumpers with his wind-aided leap of 50-10 ¼ (15.50m) on his third attempt of the day. That was not good enough to advance to the nine-man final, but he was able to earn All-America accolades for the second consecutive campaign.

When combined with sophomore Richard Garrett Jr.’s second-team honors in the shot put and fellow soph Keith Benford’s honorable mention accolades in the high jump on Friday evening, the Roadrunners picked up three awards in the same meet for the first time in program history.

The Roadrunners now have advanced three athletes to national meet three times in the last five seasons.