Davis, Gardner lead UTSA to 87-47 win

women's bball

Behind a double-double from senior Alysse Davis and a game-high 16 points from junior Ashley Gardner, the UTSA women’s basketball team improved to 2-0 on the season with a 87-47 win against Huston-Tillotson on Sunday at the Convocation Center.

Davis finished with 15 points and 14 rebounds and she just missed out on a triple-double with eight blocks. Sophomores Lyndi Thorman and Corrie Forcier recorded career bests with 14 and 10 points, respectively.

The Lady Rams (0-3) were led by Brittney Jones’ 13 points and eight boards.

The Roadrunners opened the game on a 15-4 run that saw four different players score.

After a slow start, Huston-Tillotson heated up from behind the arc and pulled to within eight, 18-10, on a 3-pointer by Janequa Moore.

However, UTSA extended its lead with 7-2 run to end the half and it took a 39-22 lead into intermission. Led by Davis’ 13 rebounds, the Roadrunners outrebounded the Lady Rams, 36-16, in the opening stanza.

The second half was much of the same, as the Birds used a 9-2 run midway through the frame to extend its lead to 26 (58-32). UTSA iced the victory bu scoring 25 of the game’s final 31 points.

The Roadrunners used their size advantage to outscore Huston-Tillotson 52-24 in the paint and they recorded 16 second-chance points.

On the defensive end, the Birds held HTU to just 22-percent shooting for the game while recording a dozen blocks and forcing 16 turnovers.

UTSA will be back in action on Friday, Nov. 19, when it hosts the second end of a men’s/women’s doubleheader against TCU (1-0). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. or 30 minutes following the conclusion of the men’s contest with Cameron.