Celebrating Black History Month

Photo Courtesy of UTSA
    Photo Courtesy of UTSA
    Photo Courtesy of UTSA

At UTSA, Black History Month is an opportunity for students and faculty to enjoy the diversity of the campus community, as well as acknowledge how black history is also American history.

Various campus organizations provide students with events throughout the month to celebrate this important part of American history.

A past event, Soul Train, was an occasion where students competed in a costume contest and lip-synced their favorite classic songs.

UTSA’s NAACP Week offered activities such as skating at Carvel Skate Rink, a dodgeball game  and a potluck celebrating NAACP’s founding.

But the month is not over yet. The roster of events for the rest of February also provides opportunities to learn, engage and—of course—eat plenty of food.

On Feb. 17, the Black Health Profession Organization will partner with the National Society of Black Engineers to put on the Black Professionals Panel.

The panel’s keynote speakers will discuss important social issues such as African-American inclusion in many professional fields. It starts at 7 p.m. in the Denman room in the University Center.

If you’re hungry for food and culture, the African Students Association will host Echoes of Africa.  Attendees will delve into great music, performances and a feast of African cuisine.

The event is on Feb. 21 and will start at 6 p.m. in the Denman Room, and will be free for members and $3 for non-members.

Craving history? “Black History in San Antonio: Past, Present, and Future” is an educational symposium of community speakers that will bring enlightening discussions of African-American history as well as explores the challenges of Black America in the present and in the future. This free event is on Feb. 21, in the HUC Bexar Room (1.102) from 3-5 p.m.

On Feb. 25, UTSA will wrap up the month’s activities with the 12th Annual Black Heritage Gala at the HUC Ballroom at 6 p.m. Attendess will enjoy a banquet, a speaker and a dance.

The gala will also present the Outstanding Black Student Leadership Award. Tickets are $10 for UTSA students and $15 for non-students. Tickets will be on sale until Feb. 18.

There are always events  to take part in that are historic to UTSA, whether you want to discover little-known history, take part in discussion regarding the challenges facing young African-Americans or just take in wonderful music, cuisine and performances.