Unusual classes offered at UTSA

College is often viewed as a place to meet new people and experience new things. UTSA is home to so much diversity that it should come as no surprise that many classes offered here are far from ordinary. With classes like, The History and Traditions of Mariachi Music, Business Japanese and White Collar Crime, students can expand their horizons with more unique classes.

Take for example, Death and Dying, an anthropological class taught by Professor Jill Fleuriet. Morbid title aside, this class offers students a cultural understanding of death in terms of its social implications. Brandon McClure, a freshman anthropology and psychology major, plans on taking the class. “Seems really interesting because of the way different cultures view death, the afterlife and burial,” McClure said.

Introduction to Air Force History is a class taught by Maj (s). Kelley that teaches students the traditions of the Air Force and basic procedures. Gustavo Villarreal, a freshman sociology major is taking the class to learn how to become an Air Force officer. Villarreal also recognizes the benefits the class offers, such as “scholarships that can pay tuition, books and stipend checks.” With many students going into the military, joining ROTC and taking the affiliated classes, students can prepare for their prospective careers.

The most unusual classes often offer a chance for students to make deeper connections to their major of choice while others are just for fun. Take for example; Jazz skills, taught by Professor Clarence King. This class teaches everything from “Cole Porter to Coltrane,” and focuses on the music theory aspect of jazz. Music majors that take this course have the opportunity to perform and to hone their jazz skills.

Also in the music department is a variety of concentrations on specific instruments. Musical Instruction in Bassoons, taught by Professor Rebecca Hagen, not only offers music students in-depth instruction for their instrument but opens many doors for those students interested in recitals, workshops and the opportunity to meet specialists in their field of interest. Music majors, as well as non-music majors are able to take specialized classes that focus on one specific instrument.

Many students enroll at UTSA under the classification, “undecided.” Taking classes that stray from the norm can introduce students to an area of interest and for those students with a set degree plan, specialized classes can facilitate further growth in their field and offer a chance to experience new things. Many of the classes highly specific to an area of interest offer more opportunities and scholarships for students. Information about all the classes offered at UTSA can be found in the course catalog or online at www.utsa.edu/ucat.