Dr. Margo DelliCarpini appointed dean of the COEHD

Photo courtesy of UTSA
Photo courtesy of UTSA
Photo courtesy of UTSA
Photo courtesy of UTSA

Dr. Margo DelliCarpini will take over as the dean of the College of Education and Human Development August 1, replacing Dr. Betty Merchant.

DelliCarpini comes from Morehead State University, where she was the dean of the College of Education and from Lehman College, City University of New York, where she was chair of the Department of Middle and High School Education.

“Margo DelliCarpini has the experience and vision to be a strong leader for the college,” said John H. Frederick, UTSA provost and vice president for academic affairs. “She will ensure that COEHD remains a vital part of the educational landscape in San Antonio while producing more teachers than anyone else in South Texas.”

Her academic and research has been focused on the acquisition of the English language or teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). She has written on the subject and has served as the editor of TESOL Journal from 2009 to 2015.

“UTSA is the kind of institution that speaks to my passions as an educator and a professional,” said DelliCarpini. “My educational background is in linguistics with a focus on language acquisition and pedagogy, and throughout my professional career my scholarship, teaching, administrative work and public engagement have focused on facilitating success for linguistically and culturally diverse learners. That is aligned with the College of Education and Human Development’s mission — a commitment to the development of inclusive and transformative leaders who are prepared to work in multicultural and cross-national contexts.”

UTSA’s COEHD has one of the largest teacher certification programs in the state with more than 4,700 students. Additionally, the college has the largest graduate enrollment at UTSA, with more than 1,200 masters and 200 doctoral students. The college conducts innovative research and grants in higher education administration, professional development, health and school readiness.