Seeking: Lifelong learners and career- driven, highly motivated individuals

The Graduate School at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) is seeking prospective students who are lifelong learners, career driven, ambitious and highly motivated to succeed. These qualities are essential for students who are seeking an advanced degree at competitive top-tier institutions. As a top-tier institution, UTSA has many of these high-caliber junior and seniors who are on the cusp of completing their undergraduate degrees and entering the workforce.

There is a central question that should be asked by those individuals: Do I need an advanced degree to be successful in my career path?  The Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) reported in 2013 that master’s education is now the accepted entry-level degree for professional areas such as business and public health.  There are skillsets that are directly intertwined with an advanced degree like critical thinking, time management and analytical assessment.

Conscientious and astute students are concerned about the additional cost of graduate education and the return on their investment.  It is necessary to understand the benefits you may gain as a result of obtaining a master or doctoral degree.  First, there is the intrinsic value of being a lifelong learner and understanding that both formal and informal professional development will provide growth and value to your personal and professional life.  Second, there is a financial incentive that comes with a graduate degree.  CGS reported that the potential income gained over a lifetime for an individual who achieved a master’s degree is $2.7 million compared to those with a bachelor’s degree at $2.2 million.  Third, there is a sense of accomplishment and greater recognition that comes with an advanced degree.  An advanced degree is likely to open doors and opportunities for career advancement.

As a top-tier institution, we are providing a unique opportunity for all of our students, alumni and San Antonio community to participate in our upcoming “Tip Talk for Graduate Student Panel” with panelists from the NYU School of Professional Studies, UNT College of Business, USC Viterbi School of Engineering and our own UTSA College of Sciences to discuss the road to graduate admission and tips for a successful application on Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016 from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Graduate School Professional Development Center in GSR 1.204.

We will be hosting  67 universities and professional programs from across the country on Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the 2016 Graduate and Professional School Fair held in the University Center North.