FTK hosts annual fashion show: a sweet cause

The ‘Tunnel of Love” is pictured above. Photos courtesy of FTK

It’s almost that time of year again! November is traditionally a month to be thankful and is followed by December, a time to give and be generous. Many events around San Antonio urge people to help others and spread the holiday cheer. One such event is the annual For The Kids Fashion Show.

This worthy event will be held on Friday, Nov. 18 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Liu Auditorium, and admission is free. The theme of the event is “Candyland” and Executive Director Lial Baki is certain that the kids will love it.

The “mocktail hour” is from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., and during this time the audience will be able to purchase merchandise, participate in a silent auction and buy refreshments. The Fashion Show will begin at 7 p.m. and there will be two live performances throughout the show.

“UTSA leaders (RSO’s, Greek Life, and university athletes) participate in the fashion show by being escorts for the kids,” Baki explained. “Each child has two escorts that will walk down the runway with them.”

At the conclusion of the show, FTK will be revealing their theme for the upcoming year and the date of their annual Dance Marathon.

Baki expressed that FTK Fashion Show is her favorite event because it made her fall in love with the organization her freshman year. She believes that the event truly brings the community together and that the support for the kids, such as the clapping and cheering, is magical.

11140343_1025625190822642_8276541239063980163_n

“My favorite part of fashion show is the Tunnel of Love,” Baki declared. “The Tunnel of love is when the audience, from both sides of the auditorium, meet in the middle and raise their hands together. The kids run through the Tunnel of Love!” The “Tunnel of Love” shows FTK families that UTSA is family, too. It is reassurance that the kids are not alone in their battles.

FTK’s next big event is their annual Dance Marathon on Saturday April 8 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the convocation center. The event features live performances, Zumba and games.

Additionally, both the Greek and athletic communities participate and perform for families.

Baki stated that after serving in FTK for two-and-a-half years, she has realized that the hardest part about being in FTK is to simply show people what they do. However, she declared that when people “see the smiles and laughter on the kids’ faces, see the love and support at events, and see that FTK is an organization of unfaltering hope,” when fundraising is no longer a challenge.