Long awaited UTSA Aquatic Center opens

Photos by Kat Joseph

After numerous setbacks and years of waiting, the highly anticipated UTSA Aquatic Center opened its doors on Oct. 27. The grand opening, which lasted from 4-7 p.m. featured music, food, games and giveaways. The brand-new Aquatic Center boasts not one but two pools: a lap pool and a leisure pool. Approximately 250 students attended the grand opening and participated in activities such as canoe battleship and paddleboard yoga.

The center will add several new activities to the Recreation Center, including swim lessons, water volleyball and basketball. Outdoor Pursuits will also make use of the pools. Student Mauro Vasquez said, “I actually work with the Outdoor Pursuits here at the Rec, so I plan to use the water facilities to build skills with our watercraft.”

dsc_0387-mov-00_00_03_17-still001

Overall, students in attendance had a positive reaction to the finished product, but some attendees felt the Aquatic Center fell short of their expectations. Several students were surprised to learn there was no hot tub included in the center. Senior public relations major Brittney Perez said, “It looks great! My only complaint is that they didn’t include a whirlpool.”

Denise Mojica was disappointed that the center does not offer an indoor facility. “I grew up a competitive swimmer and also coached swimming, so when I learned that I will not be able to use the facility that comes out of my tuition during the winter months, I was extremely let down. Starting blocks would have also been nice to see.”

An indoor facility was never in the plans. According to the Rec Center’s website, the average temperatures of the pools are 82 degrees for the lap pool and 87 degrees for the leisure pool.

The Aquatic Center will be open Monday-Friday 6:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m., and Sunday 12:00 p.m. -8:00 p.m. For more information about the center and its programs, visit campusrec.utsa.edu/aquatics or check it out in person.