Softball sweeps Northwestern State

softball

Junior Kelly Cato’s pinch-hit, two-run single in the bottom of the sixth lifted UTSA to a 4-3 victory over Northwestern State in game one of a Southland Conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Roadrunner Field. The Roadrunners plated 10 runs in the first inning and cruised to a 13-4 run-ruling in the nightcap.

The Roadrunners brought the bats for game two, posting season highs in runs (13) and hits (17).

The first was the biggest inning for UTSA since scoring 12 in a 15-0 pounding of Prairie View A&M on April 6, 2007.

Sophomore Kristin Kappler hit a grand slam and freshman Amber Anderson broke a six-all tie with an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth inning, as UTSA rallied from a four-run deficit for an 8-6 victory over Northwestern State on Sunday at Roadrunner Field.

With the win, the Roadrunners completed the sweep of the Lady Demons, improved to 26-24 overall and remained in a tie with McNeese State for second place in the Southland Conference at 17-10.

Trailing 6-2 in the third, UTSA loaded the bases behind singles from senior Leanne Risberg and junior Kelly Cato and a walk to freshman Caitlyn Ivy. With one down and just after a visit to the circle by the Northwestern State pitching coach, Kappler sent the first pitch deep over the left field fence to knot the score at 6-all.