‘Bridge of Love’ remembers love of two former UTSA students

If you’re a UTSA student or faculty member, then you’ve probably seen the bridge connecting the Flawn Sciences building to the Art building. However, many of us don’t know the story behind the bridge.

Many years ago, two UTSA students—Julie and Jason—fell in love on that very bridge. They met when Jason, a science student, served as a model for one of Julie’s drawing classes for her art major. When Jason winked at Julie, the love story began.

From the moment they met, they knew they were right for each other. They spent all of their free time together and everyday they would meet on the bridge to have a quick lunch, catch up on the day or steal a kiss.

However, Jason was called to serve his country, and he never knew how to tell his beloved Julie. So the day he departed, he left a note at her door saying how much he’d miss her. A heartbroken Julie spent the rest of her time at UTSA on the bridge painting and thinking of Jason. One day, right before graduation, a thin man with a slight limp walked towards her. With a quick wink of his eye, Jason had returned to Julie.

Legend has it their children are currently UTSA students carrying the love and traditions of their parents every day on campus. To help celebrate Valentine’s Day, and in remembrance of that one fateful day, UTSA threw a party to celebrate its own “Bridge of Love.”

With free food, luminous lights and Glee actor Noah Guthrie, known for his famous YouTube acoustic version of LMFAO’s “I’m Sexy and I Know It,” this year’s “Bridge of Love” was a huge success. Guthrie was UTSA’s guest singer. He pumped up the crowd with his powerful chords, but also got a good chuckle out of the audience with the origin stories of some of his songs.

“The energy. It’s always great to sing for colleges. I’d definitely come back to UTSA. I love it,” said Guthrie.

Guthrie ended the night with the song “You Are My Sunshine.”

Regardless of how you decide to celebrate Valentine’s Day or your feelings about the holiday itself, it’s a time of celebration and recognition for the love we have for others.

The holiday only lasts one day, but no need to fret! We can all remember and embrace the love born from our “Bridge of Love” if we only remember to l