Musicians of Business prepare for UTSA Underground

The third UTSA Underground festival is less than two weeks away! This annual festival, curated by student organization Musicians of Business, takes place within the service tunnels of UTSA. These dimly lit corridors provide an intimate and unique experience for both the audience and the artists.

President of the organization Dylan Ilseng is the head of this year’s event. “UTSA Underground is a unique way to showcase the creative talents of people connected to the school to an audience that might otherwise be unaware of the breadth of talent present here,” said Ilseng. A night of underground music in an underground venue: UTSA Underground.

UTSA Underground gives students the opportunity to manage the various aspects of producing and marketing a live music event. Events of this size typically involve a high amount of logistics, teamwork and communication. These behind the scene activities – sound engineering, booking, marketing and coordinating – are often overlooked aspects of live music.

This year’s UTSA Underground will be the largest effort thus far, hosting 12 musical artists as well as 14 visual artists spread across four different stages. The audience will be free to shuffle back and forth between stages throughout the evening.

Headlining the event is South Texas based indie Latin project, Volcán. Volcán boasts a lineup of 12 members, according to their Facebook. The large lineup includes a full rhythm section, which gives the band an extremely large and complex soundscape. The amount of energy this band shares on stage is enormous and highly contagious.

Also joining the evening’s lineup is notable local act, 16 Psyche. This five-piece indie band is one of San Antonio’s standout indie acts right now. Reminiscent of early ‘90s lo fi indie rock with jazz influenced drumming, 16 Psyche are a must watch during UTSA Underground this year.

Other acts include Farewell Summer, San Antonio’s Freestyle Friday’s members, Down for the Count, Sonora Correcaminos, Wryane, Remants, Jinetes and Andria Rose. Visual acts include various groups and individuals: Clay Fusion, Jillian Piepenburg, B.A.T. Printmaking Club, Eros, Selika De Los Santos, Jahnae Williams, Aaron Pozos, Robert Wilson, Rachel Long, Luis Nunez, Misti Rainwater, Lites, Rebekah Hurst, Darrian Thomas and Marco Rios.

On April 1, come support and enjoy the sights and sounds of UTSA Underground at the UC Lawn and UTSA Tunnels.