Football returns with seventh annual spring Fiesta game

Chase Otero, The Paisano

This past Saturday, UTSA Football hosted their seventh annual Fiesta Spring Game at Dub Farris Stadium. The offense was sporting their orange jerseys with white pants and the defense wore all white. “It was a good day for the fans and the players, ” junior defensive end Kevin Strong said.

The team started off the day with The Bird Cage, a fan favorite, to get the crowd excited.

The scrimmage consisted of the first and second string offense and defense playing each other in full contact as well as periods for special teams, seven- on-seven and red zone/ overtime situational drills. Multiple awards were given to both current and past Roadrunner players. At the end, there was even an egg hunt for the kids to get into the Easter spirit.

With around 4,000 fans in attendance, the Roadrunners were able to show the team’s depth and progress they have made over the course of the spring. The game ended with a 56-56 tie, showing signs of success on both sides of the ball. It was rare to see two defensive linemen score touchdowns on the day; DeQuarius Henry and King Newton recovered fumbles and took them to the house.

Both quarterbacks showed their arms off, throwing for at least one touchdown pass each.

“In the end, UTSA won,” starting quarterback Dalton Sturm stated. “We gotta keep working.”

The Roadrunners know to be successful, they have to put in the work to continually improve.

The team will continue to practice in the summer in preparation for the fall. The Roadrunners as well as the fans are more than excited for the 2017 season to kick off.

As they keep prepare for the upcoming season, the players understand the spring game is just the beginning for what is to come in the upcoming season.

“By the time fall camp comes, it’s personal,” wide receiver Josh Stewart said. This upcoming season will be one of UTSA’s most exciting and challenging. The Roadrunners begin the season on Sep. 2 against The University of Houston at the Alamodome.

UTSA had a fantastic season last year that ended with a tough bowl game loss. They want to take the success and knowledge they learned last year and build off of it to improve this season.

“We can be as good as we want to be,” defensive tackle King Newton said.

After a successful 2016 season, the expectations are high for Head Coach Frank Wilson and his Roadrunners going in to 2017.

With each passing day, fans look forward to see how the Roadrunners will perform in this year’s matchups.