Cardenas, Fish lead Roadrunners yet again

Junior Albert Cardenas and freshman Samantha Fish topped the UTSA men’s and women’s cross country teams yet again at Saturday’s Chili Pepper Festival.

Cardenas helped lead the men to a top 10 finish in the 50-team field with his 52nd-place performance. The Converse native covered the 10,000-meter Arkansas Cross Country Course trail in 30:56.28 to pace the Roadrunners for the fifth time in as many meets this fall.

Junior Cole Reveal was the next UTSA runner to cross the finish line, as the Frisco native placed 77th (31:22.45). Fellow third-year teammate Daniel Balbontin was two spots behind in 31:23.81.

Oklahoma State easily defended its team title with 22 points. The Cowboys were led by Colby Lowe (29:10.97), who won the race for the second consecutive year. Lowe led four OSU runners that crossed the line in first through fourth place. The Roadrunners finished 10th with 359 points.

Meanwhile, Fish topped the UTSA women for the fourth meet in a row with her 73rd-place effort. The Los Fresnos native clocked an 18:33.86 in the 5k race. Fellow first-year teammate Isabel Balbontin (93rd/18:44.55) was the next-highest finisher for the Birds, who finished the day in 22nd place in the 56-team field.

Oklahoma State also won the women’s crown with its 68 points and Indiana’s Sarah Pease claimed the individual championship in 17:04.67.

Four Roadrunners also were in action at the Concrodia Texas Invitational on Saturday.

Junior Al Johnson led the men’s contingent with his 26th-place performance (16:23), while Lauren Losoya paced the women (20th/19:30).

UTSA will return to the course on Thursday, Oct. 28, when it travels to Beaumont for the Southland Conference Championships.