Texas State defeats UTSA 3-1, hands Roadrunners first SLC loss

Saturday, Sept. 25, the Roadrunners were defeated by their I-35 rivals, the Texas State Bobctats (25-22, 22-25, 25-15, 25-16).

The Bobcats scored in the first set, but the Roadrunners immediately responded with a kill by senior Briana Mason.  In a set that contained 17 ties it seemed that either team could take the win. However, the Bobcats were able to pull away to 24-21 late in the set, and eventually take the set 25-22.

After being tied at four in the second set, the Bobcats pulled ahead and led the Roadrunners 7-5, but the Roadrunners answered with kills from Mason and junior Elise Huskey to tie the score at eight a piece.  

At 21 all the Bobcats committed three errors that put the score 24-21, and the Roadrunners one point away from victory.  A service error by Middleton gave the Roadrunners the point they needed to take the set 25-22.

The third set was the turning point in the match. The Bobcats started the set by pulling ahead to a 9-4 lead.  However, the Roadrunners weren’t about to let the Bobcats pull too far ahead and got the lead down to 10-8.  Just as quickly as the Roadrunners had shrunk the lead, the Bobcats were able to mount the lead to seven points. The Roadrunners were able to get within four points of the Bobcats, but 12 attack errors by the Runners  allowed the Bobcats to take the set 25-15. 

Going into the fourth set the Roadrunners were down a set and needed a win to force a set five. Though the Roadrunners started the set falling behind 5-1, they were able to claw their way back to within two points to put the score 6-4.  However, every time the Roadrunners scored a point, the Bobcats were immediately there to answer with a kill. Despite their efforts, the Roadrunners fell into a 10-point hole. At 22-10 the Bobcats were poised to take the set.  Senior Kendra Rowland was able to get in four kills late in the set to put the score 24-16.  A final kill by Middleton handed them the 25-16 win and the overall victory. 

The Roadrunners’ next game will be Sept. 30 against Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches at 7p.m.