See you space cowboy

Carmens de la Calle boasts a globally inspired menu alongside an impressive programming schedule ranging from jazz and flamenco to spoken word poetry. Courtesy of Carmens de la Calle

Outwardly unassuming, Carmens de la Calle is a downtown jazz club that’s as cool and laid back as jazz has ever been.

Inside, you’ll find an environment that is simultaneously eclectic and complete.

Red Christmas lights, hanging lanterns and various lamps about the inside provide an intimate light to see by, while long curtains cover the front windows, keeping the hot Texas sun and the outside world at bay.

There is a well-supplied bar at the front door, along with a regularly updated menu of recipes from around the world.

In the other section of Carmens, tables and chairs surround a low stage where, depending on the night, there are jazz combos, flamenco dancers and spoken word poets plying their respective trades.

There is also a bring your own vinyl night on the third Thursday of every month that fosters music discussion and discovery within jazz and blues history.

While Carmens makes space for history, it is by no means stuck in the past.

On Thursday, Aug. 31, it will be hosting a contemporary jazz event featuring music inspired by the anime Cowboy Bebop—a space western that integrates music and plot.

This anime themed jazz show happens in anticipation of San Antonio’s anime convention, San Japan, this weekend.

The show produced a popular soundtrack, which was recorded by The Seatbelts. The song “Tank” is probably their most well-known.

“We’re always looking for creative ways to keep jazz relevant to younger generations,” said owner Paula Sullivan.

“This event was not only a way to connect with anime fans about our jazz venue but also a way to hip the jazz musicians about another genre featuring the music they love.”

Carmens is a place with a sense of community. It’s also a great place to go with a date. It’s the sort of place that as soon as you step out of the door you want to go back again.

This sense of community can be intimidating, but have no fear; it is a welcoming and inclusive environment.

The venue is located at 320 North Flores Street and is open Thursday from five p.m. to 11 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from five p.m. until midnight.

The Cowboy Bebop event is on Aug. 31; it begins at 7:30 and continues until 11.