Austin terrorist mischaracterized

Austin terrorist mischaracterized

Mark Anthony Conditt terrorized an entire city over the course of three weeks, successfully committing two murders and multiple serious assaults along the way. Only certain information has been disclosed to the public about the Conditt case.

Many reports characterize Conditt to be generally harmless. Police Chief Brian Manley actually referred to the murderer as a “challenged young man,” deemphasizing the atrocious character of Conditt.

We might conclude Conditt’s mental state may have been more questionable if his peer and family accounts did not imply otherwise.

Conditt’s parents and colleagues allegedly had no idea of his plans, supporting the theory that he consciously and secretly carried out his offenses.

Not only did the police officer construct a pretty picture of these heinous acts, but the media partook as well.

Photos of Conditt living a pleasant college life are used when referring to his background and where he comes from.

During the time Conditt had been perceived to be living a “normal life,” he was simultaneously plotting a fatal attack. In fact, the only evidence that would possibly support the idea he was merely a “challenged young man” would be his unreleased confessional, which stated that he felt no remorse for his actions even though he knew he should. Even then, it is clear that Conditt deliberately identified the fault in his actions as well as the feelings that should have been associated with such behavior.

Conditt was an adult who knew right from wrong, whether or not he received pleasure from doing wrong. Weighing the pros and cons of a choice and making a sound decision to not commit murder seemed more than possible for this man. There was a motivation, whether it be political, racial or emotional. Formulating an opinion on how Conditt felt about his actions would be easier if the video confessional prior to the suicide was released. Doesn’t it make you question why? Upon the breach of his inevitable detainment, Conditt committed suicide by setting off a bomb in his car. Law enforcement continues to release manipulative reports about the evasive suicide and confessional video to the public rather than releasing the video and allowing the public to develop a perspective on this event.

If the public knew more about the domestic terrorist who murdered two and injured many; if the public were allowed to see the evidence that was clearly meant to be disclosed, the idea that Conditt knew what he was doing would be more easily recognized. Conditt was not a “polite and well behaved boy,” as many neighbors saw him to be; he was a man who dodged providing an explanation for his actions.