Women’s tennis close out home season on high note; Men fall to A&M Corpus Christi

womenstennis.jpg

Men’s

Men’s tennis fell 6-1 to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi bringing the Runners to an 7-11 overall and 3-2 in league contests.

In doubles, junior Jorge Delgado and sophomore Daniel Moreiras lost against David Pace and James Langford, 8-4. Later, sophomore Max Stratmann and freshman Pedro Zanotelli dropped their match against Laurent Montoisy and Jose Zunino, 8-6.

Zanotelli dropped his singles match to Montoisy, 6-3, 6-1 and after Delgado dropped his 7-5, 6-1, to Langford, the Roadrunners found themselves at the bottom of a 3-0 score.

The only high point of the day came when Stratmann beat Juame Farras 7-6 (8-6), 6-2.

The men will be on the road next weekend in Birmingham, Alabama where they will play Samford and Alabama.

Womens

The ladies (13-6, 7-2 SLC) ended the weekend on a high point after defeating Stephen F. Austin 7-0 in a Southland Conference victory.

Senior Monika Drabkova and sophomore Caroline Dedering knocked out Gabriela Gadeva and Mary Harrison, 8-3. At the same time, senior Nathalie Wallin and junior Holly Phillips earned a team point when they defeated Jamie Williams and Andreea Enica 8-3 and extended their winning streak to 10 matches.

Freshman Micaela Silva was the first off the court in singles, as she won 6-3, 6-3 over Jamie Williams. Drabkova wrapped up her match shortly thereafter, beating Sanjana Kapur, 6-1, 6-0.

Dedering clinched the match for UTSA with her 7-5, 6-2 victory against Enica, 7-5, 6-2. Phillips then won a second-set tiebreak at 7-2, after winning the first set 6-3.

Scida and Wallin also posted wins. Scida was victorious in her matchup with Shazkho, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6). Meanwhile, Wallin picked up the second set of her contest, 6-2, after dropping the first, 6-7 (5-7) and, with the match already in hand, the two played a 10-point tiebreak to decide the winner and Wallin won 10-8.

Next weekend they will be back with road matches at Texas State (7-5, 4-3 SLC) and first-place UT Arlington (9-7, 7-0 SLC).