Roadrunners split their games in tournament

UTSA lost in five sets to Baylor last Friday. Jack Myer/The Paisano

The UTSA’s women volleyball team evenly split the tournament last weekend. It was the first day of the UTSA Invitational Tournament, presented by the Courtyard Marriott at the Rim when the ‘Runners were defeated by the Baylor Bears by a score of 3-2. Despite the defeat, the Roadrunners went on to face a different kind of bird, the Hokies of Virginia Tech University. Both teams played well in the game, but the ‘Runners came out on top with a score of 3-1. Despite their loss on Friday, the ‘Runners had a great weekend.

Baylor University was quick to start off the first set on Friday with 11 points, and UTSA stayed straight with the Bears. Hannah Lopez made the kill that kept the teams tied at 11-11. Then the ‘Runners made a few defensive errors, which resulted in the Bears fighting back to bring the score to 14-11. Both teams fought hard to gain a few points ahead. Baylor’s Yossiana Presley made several kills after a UTSA timeout, ending the first set at 25-21, Bears up.

The ‘Runners and Bears were eventually matched as the score was constantly tied. With the ‘Runners coming out on top with the score 5-3, the Bears were forced to take a time out. Since both teams gave it their best, they tied again at 11-11. The game went back and forth until UTSA earned a two point lead, forcing the Bears to call another timeout. The ‘Runners were first to reach 20, and after several errors made by the Bears, UTSA won the second set at 25-20.

UTSA volleyball team celebrate after making a score. Jack Myer/The Paisano

In the third set, both teams were quick to tie at 5-5. UTSA gained a small lead at 10-8. After an ace by Lopez, the Bears called a timeout. UTSA began making small mistakes, but continued dominating with a score of 17-13. The ‘Runners were close at a score of 23-20. The Bears realized this, and were quick to tie things up again at 24. After a few of Baylor’s errors, the ‘Runners appeared sturdy as they won the third set, 28-26. (2-1) UTSA up. 

The ‘Runners were looking sharp as they had the lead, 9-6 in the fourth set. The Bears gained an advantage over UTSA’s mistakes, which caused them to be tied at 17. Baylor began to close on the win, but UTSA fought to make the score 20-24. Baylor Bear, Aniah Philo, made a kill which then left both teams fastened at 2-2.

A necessary fifth set started off similar to the other sets, both teams wrestled for the lead. Baylor reached an 11-8 advantage over UTSA, and Pressley ended the set at 15-9. Baylor won the overall game 3-2.

The ‘Runners were eager to start their second game of the tournament, challenging Virginia Tech University. Lopez was quick to make the first point for the team. Although the Hokies were good with their defense, they were not being as aggressive as the Roadrunners which led to a score of 9-3. Kenedi Rutherford and Kara Teal blocked several hits, which led to a quick score for the ‘Runners at 24-15. At matchpoint, Rutherford made a kill, which led UTSA to win the first set of the game at 24-14. 

The Hokies were a lot more aggressive in the second set as they came up on their offense; they were quick to tie the game at 5-5. It was constantly going back and forth until Virginia Tech got a two point lead at 10-8. After a time out called by UTSA, Virginia Tech was ahead of their game with several kills that caused the ‘Runners to lose the second set (25-20). 

The second set may have been a wake up call for the ‘Runners because they jumped to a 4-1 lead on Virginia Tech University. Brianna McCulloch and Lopez made several kills to make the score of 10-9, with Virginia Tech University not far behind. After a few errors made by the ‘Runners, they were too quick to get on their feet and carry a five point lead at 20-15. Natalya Chatman aggressively made a kill onto a Hokies face which led UTSA at match point. After a service error made by the opposing team, UTSA won the third set at 25-21.

Later, Rutherford made several kills to keep UTSA on top at 6-2 in the fourth set. The ‘Runners were not allowing Virginia Tech to breathe as they maintained the lead. Several saves made by Shelby Williams led to UTSA coming out on top at 18-9. This score caused Virginia Tech University to call a timeout. The timeout had the Hokies pumped as they came back at 19-15. Great offense was shown as the ‘Runners were close to victory at a score of 23-20. Although Virginia Tech University tried to catch up, UTSA won the last set (25-23) and the overall game at 3-1. 

Despite the ‘Runners loss to Baylor University on Friday, they made up for it by sweeping the Virginia Tech Hokies on Sunday. If you want to see the ‘Runners in action, stop by the Convocation Center this Friday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. to see the ladies play against Southern Miss University.