Young people show up, show out and vote

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons
Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Time and time again young voters have failed to show up to the polls to vote. According to the Washington Post, an U.S. Census Bureau data tracking turnout that analyzed the United States elections reported that since 1986 young voter turnout has not eclipsed 21 percent. The lowest voter turnout was in 2014 when only 16 percent of eligible voters within the ages 18 to 29 cast a ballot. In contrast, according to CNN.com, over 59 percent of seniors voted in the 2014 midterm election.

How can this country grow if young people are not voting? It cannot. Many persons between the ages 18 and 22 may find it difficult to understand the importance of voting, especially, when it seems like all politicians are corrupt, or all the elections are rigged and the government do not care about the nation as a whole. However, that impression should not discourage the young voter; it should motivate him or her.

Now is not the time to  say “nothing will ever change.” Be the change you are looking for. Instead of complaining about corrupt politicians, vote for the candidate you believe has the country’s best interest at heart.

Furthermore, instead of being upset at the government for not calling out voting fraud, become an activist and encourage other citizens to hold their elected officials accountable by voting them out of office when they do not act ethically.

According to the Texas Tribune, over 4.5 million people in Texas cast in-person ballots in this year’s early voting, which means in 12 days of early voting more people have come out to vote than all those who voted in the 2014 midterm election. 

The long lines at UTSA’s early voting site is encouraging, but we must not be complacent. We are not far away from the next presidential election. We must reverse the trend of low voter turnout for the younger generation. 

Young voters — it is time to show up, show out and vote.