Time out with the coaches: Stephanie Hughes

coach

Stephanie Hughes is weeks into her first head coaching job.  She took time from the field to talk to the Paisano about the life of a softball coach.

What is the best part about coaching for UTSA?

UTSA is an up and coming school so it is exciting to see the campus grow and the students evolve. It is also my first head coaching position after being here seven years, so I am excited to see what the future holds.

When and how did you decide to become a coach?

I knew I wanted to coach when I was a freshman at Texas State. Both my father and grandfather were coaches, so it was just natural for me to follow in their steps. After playing softball for Texas State, I took my first coaching position there after graduation.

If you weren’t a coach, what profession would you choose?

I would be a history teacher. Everyone in my family is either a teacher or a principal and I just feel it is very similar to coaching.

Who is your biggest influence?

My dad is definitely my biggest influence. He is the one who got me into athletics at a young age. He was always encouraging and motivating and still is today.

What is your favorite travel spot?

I went to California and visited the University of California at Santa Barbara campus and really enjoyed it because the campus was just amazing and beautiful; you could literally throw a ball into the ocean.

What is your favorite moment in sports that you were a part of?

My senior year at Texas State, I had a pitcher who threw a perfect game. I was playing center field and got to be a part of something so rare and one of the hardest things to do. There were 21 batters and 21 outs. The funny thing is, it was a perfect game against UTSA.

When you are not coaching for the Roadrunners, you are…?

I am doing anything outdoors. I love to be outside, from being at the river or taking my dog to the lake. I think that is why I love being a coach of an outdoor sport.

What is your favorite baseball movie?

“Bull Durham” with Kevin Costner is the best. It is an 80’s flick with some of the best one liners of a baseball movie I have ever heard.