Track and Field places at Invitational

Jake Mcdaniel clears the pole. Jack Myer/The Paisano

The Roadrunner track and field teams traveled to College Station from April 12 to 13, to compete in the Texas A&M Invitational at E.B. Cushing Stadium. Both teams performed well with the women placing fifth and the men placing sixth, respectively.

Caroline Bellows was the lone ‘Runner to finish in first with an overall height of 3.88 meters in the pole vault, narrowly defeating Myka Steinbeisser from Arizona State University by less than a quarter of a meter.

Gary Hassbroek competed in the long jump for the first time in the outdoor season and was able to walk away with a second place finish with a jump of 7.24 meters. Hassbroek is having a strong first year with the ‘Runners after grabbing a top 10-finish in the NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships in March.

With a time of one minute and 54.41 seconds, Luca Chatham secured a third-place finish in the 800-meter in a very tightly contested heat against Devin Dixon from Texas A&M and Michael Rhoads from Air Force.

The women’s 4×400 meter relay team consisted of Sierra Andres, Brooke Lomax, Darionne Gibson and Erin Wilson which combined for an overall time of 3:57.34 and a bronze finish in the event.

In the women’s hammer throw, Maia Campbell had a third place finish with a throw of 53.72 meters, less than four meters out of second place. In the discus throw, Lacee Barnes was able to place fourth in a field of 15 other throwers while nearly beating out Sam Houston State’s Lauryn Caldwell for a top-three finish.

Rounding out the women’s side, Olivia Esmena landed a fourth place finish in the 100-meter with a time of 11.65 seconds. Vera Chinedu also competed in the 100-meter and ended with a time of 12.10 seconds.

For the men, Vasha Sheriff placed fourth in the 400-meter with an overall time of 48.18 seconds and was also a participant in the men’s 4×400 meter team that placed sixth along with Austin Crocker, Andrew Pirog and Christopher Rosales.

The outdoor season continues on for the ‘Runners as they will have two meets with the first taking place from April 18 to 20, when they will be traveling to California for the Mt. SAC Relays, and their second being the J. Fred Duckett Twilight Invitational in Houston, Texas, on April 20.