Softball has rough weekend in Denton

Celeste Loughman prepares to bat. Heather Montoya/The Paisano

The UTSA women’s softball team (17-26, 6-12) found themselves on the receiving end of a series sweep this weekend courtesy of the University of North Texas. The North Texas Mean Green defense stifled the Roadrunners’ offense, allowing the ‘Runners only four runs in the three-game series. Combined with last Wednesday’s 1-0 loss to the Texas A&M Corpus Christi Islanders, the four game skid sets the ‘Runners record back to 17-26 (6-12). The ‘Runners only have eight regular season games before the Conference-USA (C-USA) Championship tournament; they will need a strong finish if they want to be a part of it.

The ‘Runners opened the series against the Mean Green on April 19, in Denton, Texas. Madison Nelson represented the ‘Runners on the mound, allowing three runs and seven hits in six innings. Despite Nelson’s solid start, she got little run support, and the ‘Runner offense only knocked four base hits and left nine runners on base. Bailee Baldwin went 4-2 with a double; Celeste Loughman and Kaitlin Lopez notched the other two singles that made up the ‘Runners entire offensive performance during Friday’s 3-0 loss.

The ‘Runners hoped for more success in the second game of Friday’s doubleheader. Clarissa Hernandez took the mound and allowed three runs on six hits in four innings. The Mean Green nabbed a quick pair in the first inning and another in the fourth, giving them a 3-0 lead. Junior Madison Washington responded for the ‘Runners in the fifth with a two-run single, scoring Brysen Blinco and Lauren Coerver. The Mean Green tacked on another run in the bottom of the fifth, increasing their lead to 4-2, but in the top of the seventh Washington singled in Baldwin for her third run batted in (RBI) of the game. However, the ‘Runners were unable to keep the rally alive and were defeated 4-3. Although they showed that they can capitalize on scoring opportunities, the ‘Runners weren’t able to top the Mean Green bullpen.

The ‘Runners hoped to finish the series in Denton on a high note, but the Mean Green had other plans. Nelson took the mound once again and gave up five runs and two home runs in 4.2 innings. Four defensive errors did not help the ‘Runners tired pitcher and accounted for the unearned run. Washington put the ‘Runners on the scoreboard first, scoring Loughman with an RBI single. The Mean Green evened the score in the third, and the game remained tied until the fifth inning, when the Mean Green broke the game open. Back to back four-run innings in the fifth and sixth secured the sweep for the Mean Green.

Come see the ‘Runners in action at Roadrunner Field on Tuesday, April 23, at 6:00 p.m.