Get them while they’re hot

album

As lines of record enthusiasts begin curving around independent record stores the morning of April 21, a little over 300 new albums will be wrapped and waiting inside, anticipating the riot that will come moments within opening time.

Many artists release new albums on Record Store Day to celebrate the unique sub culture that surrounds the independent music store. To help guide collectors toward what to expect, The Paisano has complied a list of favorites, not to be passed up.

Animal Collective: “Transverse Temporal Gyrus”

Coinciding with Record Store Day, Animal Collective will release an exclusive album consisting of original tracks from an previous installation at the Guggenheim Museum with visual artist Danny Perez.

The album will also feature live recordings made inside the Guggenheim before the doors were opened to the public. It is the only physical format on which any of the tracks will be released. Expect nothing less than exquisitely experimental from the Baltimore-based band.

Miles Davis: “Forever Miles”

For all those Davis fans out there, this is a record that just can’t be passed up. Forever Miles includes
“Dear Old Stockholm,”
“Blues For Pablo,”
“Hand Jive,”
“Early Minor”
and a previously unreleased track from the Filmore East 1970 It’s About Time recording, “Directions.”

Regina Spektor: “The Prayer of Francois Villon (Moltiva)”

Spektor continues to impress. Often revealing her Russian decent, Spektor is releasing two previous unrecorded tracks: “The Prayer of Francois Villon (Moltiva)”
and “Old Jacket (Stariy Pedjak),” both completely in Russian.

Black Keys: “El Camino”

Always a fan of vinyl, the black Keys are releasing the orginal album including unreleased live tracks on 7″ “Sister” and “Moneymaker.”

The Civil Wars: “Billie Jean” and “Live at Amoeba”

Sometimes played in concert, The Civil Wars cover of a Michael Jackson favorite is being released for this very special occasion. Along with, a new live album “Live at the Amoeba,” will feature tracks, “Tip of My Tongue,”
“Forget Me Not,”
“From This Valley,”
“20 Years,”
“I’ve Got This Friend,”
“Dance Me to the End of Love” and
“Disarm.” The album was recorded live in Hollywood on June 14, 2011 exclusively for Record Store Day 2012. A portion of the album goes directly to support Record Store Day.

For more information on the day and participating locations, check out www.recordstoreday.com.