Volleyball soars past Cardinals

Photo by Julia Maenius

The Roadrunner volleyball team faced the University of Incarnate Word Cardinals in an
exhibition match to begin the 2019 season on Thursday, Aug. 22.

The ‘Runners surrendered the first two points of the match but quickly regained their
footing as they tied the game 3-3.

The ‘Runners held the lead throughout the first set, sealing the win for that set after a 16-
6 run by moving the serves between Cardinal defensive specialists with a heavy reliance on
outside hitter Hannah Lopez.

UTSA closed the set by scoring six of the final nine points of the set, making the score
25-15.

The second set began with a UIW lead as the ‘Runner front row struggled hitting around
the block with out-of-system passes coming from the back row.

The Cardinals continued to increase their lead as the score neared the end of the second
set, 20-18.

The pressure set in on the ‘Runners as the second set came to an end, but UTSA evened
the playing field to 21-21 with an ace from freshman setter Courtney Walters.

With the set coming to a close, the ‘Runners scored seven of the final eight points to
secure the set win with a score of 25-22.

With the end in sight, the ‘Runners opened the third set with its largest advantage of the
match with a 10-3 run.

UTSA utilized the back row as a scoring mechanism with multiple back row attacks to
end the Cardinal scoring stretch at 21-15.

With the use of senior middle blocker Montse Castro, UTSA put the pressure on UIW to
end the game with a score of the third set of 25-14.

UTSA volleyball will be back in action with their first tournament of the season in
Dallas. The ‘Runners will face Stephen F. Austin, SMU and Bradley, vying for the first place
title in the SMU Doubletree Invitational Aug. 30-31.