Athlete of the Week: Josh Dunlop

Lindsey Mione

Originally from Indiana, Josh Dunlop’s love for football began in his front yard with his two older brothers. Now, Dunlop is the starting offensive tackle for the Roadrunners.

In the fifth grade, Dunlop’s football career began by playing in a youth league. Dunlop did not like playing at first because he was out of shape and would rather be at home playing video games. However, as middle school approached, Dunlop began to workout and give football another chance.

“I started to get used to this and ever since then I just kept playing,” Dunlop said.

Coming out of high school, Dunlop went to community college in Kansas where he spent his freshman and sophomore year studying communications. He was recruited by UTSA his junior year to play for the ‘Runners.

Dunlop would describe the night life as his favorite part of UTSA. He enjoys going out with his teammates and spending time with them outside of practice. His favorite year was his freshman year because the first game of that season was cancelled due to Hurricane Harvey. Then the ‘Runners played at Baylor. Dunlop came from a junior college playing in front of the bus driver and his parents, making Baylor’s home opener the most exciting game.

“There were so many times coach was talking and I was branching out looking at the crowd; I was trying to find my mom way up in the nosebleeds. I will never forget that for the rest of my life because it was so loud and all these people are looking right at us right now,” Dunlop said.

Outside of football, Dunlop enjoys the movies, his favorite being“Interstellar” with Matthew McConaughey. He also enjoys watching Major League Soccer and professional basketball as a close second. Dunlop’s favorite teams to watch are European soccer teams, specifically.

Dunlop’s favorite memory with the team was when they went to the wave pool at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Typically they branch off and ride roller coasters together, but this time they stayed in the wave pool. They were so rambunctious, parents took their kids out of the pool and the wave pool was turned off.

Dunlop grew up with two brothers, both of which had a large impact in his decision of joining football. However, they first got him into video games. As Dunlop grew up, they incorporated him into their games. Although his brothers played a big role, Dunlop’s greatest influential factor for playing college football is his mother. She was the basketball coach for Dunlop and his older brothers’ teams.

“We would show up at this sports place on Saturday and she would coach my game and my two other brothers games all in one day,” Dunlop said.

Dunlop described his hero to be Godzilla. His rationale behind this was in the latest Godzilla movie, where he chest-bumped his way through a building.

“I love how massive he is. When he roars, it is so loud; I sound like a kid,” Dunlop said with a chuckle.

Being on the leadership council was one of the greatest accomplishments of his career. When he first came to UTSA, he looked up to the seniors on the council and they showed him the ropes as to what it means to be a part of the leadership team. He came to the ‘Runners as a junior, so he would do his best to be a leader for the rest of the team.

“This year my peers voted me on the leadership council; it meant the world to me because it means I’m setting a good example and they want to follow in my footsteps. It’s a huge honor,” Dunlop said.