Men’s basketball continues to look for first win

Knox Hellums brings the ball up the court. Photo by Ellyson Ortega

The Sunshine Slam took place in Kissimmee, Florida, from Nov. 8 to Nov. 10. The men’s basketball team looked to claim their first win of the season, but they were unsuccessful. The UTSA Roadrunners had three straight double-digit losses in what would be a not-so-ideal start to their 2019-2020 campaign.

Moving forward, the ‘Runners will head to Logan, Utah, on Nov. 18, to face off against the Utah State Aggies. The Aggies won their first two contests of the season against Montana State University and Weber State University. The leading scorer for Utah State is guard Sam Merrill with 21 points per game while forward Justin Bean paces the team with 9.5 rebounds per game.

Through four games of play, guard Jhivvian Jackson leads the team in scoring with 25.8 points per game, and guard Keaton Wallace is second on the team with 13.8 points per game. The ‘Runners are currently averaging 67 points per game.

After their trip to Utah, the ‘Runners will begin a three game homestand starting Nov. 22 against the Wiley College Wildcats, Prairie View A&M University Panthers and Texas A&M University–Corpus Christi Islanders.