Looking towards the Owls

Joshua Cephus runs the ball away from a Golden Eagle defensive player. Photo by Ethan Gullett

Following a 36-17 loss last week to Southern Mississippi’s Golden Eagles (7-3), the UTSA Roadrunners saw their record fall to 4-6 for the year. Next week, they will turn their attention to the Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Owls (7-3) for their last home game of the season. This will only be the second meeting between the Runners and the Owls, with their only other matchup occuring in 2014, which ended in a 41-37 victory for the Owls.

FAU enters this game already eligible for a bowl game, with seven wins this year. In addition, they find themselves in a battle with Marshall (7-3) in Conference USA (C-USA) East as they are tied atop the division with two games left to play. The Owls come into the Alamodome as winners of their last three games, outscoring the ‘Runners with a combined score of 113-34. The ‘Runners enter the game needing to win their next two games to qualify for a bowl game, but they will face a tough task by going against an FAU team looking to take another step toward the C-USA championship.

The ‘Runners entered last week’s game against the Golden Eagles looking to throw the football and push the ball down the field, and Lowell Narcisse responded accordingly. Throwing for a career-high 325 yards and two touchdowns, Narcisse has continued to grow as a passer as the year continues. Against an FAU secondary currently tied for 103rd in the nation and surrendering 254.6 yards per game through the air, Narcisse will be asked to put together a game similar to last week’s performance. The ‘Runners’ defense competed hard against Southern Mississippi, but they were consistently victimized by big plays, and gave up four touchdowns on plays that went over 25 yards throughout the game. Against FAU’s offense which ranking 42nd in the nation, and averaging 434.8 yards of total offense per game, the ‘Runners’ defense will look to tighten up against big plays down the field. The run defense that allowed the Golden Eagles’ running game to consistently get into the second level of the ‘Runners’ defense for over 200 yards on the ground, will seek to improve upon last week’s performance. They face a stiff test against an Owls rushing attack, averaging 151.6 and tied for 80th in the nation. Facing such an explosive offense means the ‘Runners will need to make every possession count. After a three-turnover performance against the Golden Eagles, the ‘Runners will look to clean up those mistakes. Turnovers have plagued the ‘Runners this year as they currently rank 96th in the nation in turnover margin, currently sitting at -4.

The ‘Runners will play their final home game of the season at the Alamodome on Saturday, Nov. 23, at 5 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.