Huckabee speaks in San Antonio

Huckabee.jpg

As the Texas primaries draw near, San Antonio was host yet again to another political rally. Presidential candidate and former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee held a rally in the Bill Greehey Arena at St. Mary’s University Thursday Feb. 21.

Addressing a crowd of approximately 500 people, Huckabee pledged his conservatism. Running on a platform that revolves around faith, family and life, Huckabee explained his core values.

He outlined his plans for the protection of human life. From the unborn to the wounded and killed in battle, Huckabee believes in the intrinsic value of human existence and plans to uphold, as he called it, “the sanctity of life.” To the applause of the crowd, Huckabee explained himself. “I want to lead a human life amendment in this country, a country where we uphold every human life,” Huckabee said.He also heavily emphasized the importance of family and marriage. As president, Huckabee would fight for a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a life-long heterosexual union.

“Marriage is a one man, one woman life relation. Not because we are against anyone, but because our government is built by homes and families,” Huckabee said. “If they fall apart, so will the strength of the government. It’s an economic issue.”

He also maintained families’ autonomy in raising their children.”I always believe that mothers and fathers will raise better kids than the government will,” Huckabee said. “Let families raise their kids.”

Huckabee also proposed taking care of domestic issues before to addressing international concerns, such as a more efficient tax system, one that doesn’t, according to Huckabee, punish individuals.

“I’ll touch on problems affecting Americans,” Huckabee said referring to the multitude of federal income and payroll taxes. If he is elected president, Huckabee promises to replace all federal income and payroll taxes with a Fair Tax, a tax based on wealth.

“We’re going to kill the IRS before it kills every last American in this country,” Huckabee said. “If it’s working against us, let’s replace it with a Fair Tax.”

Not all of those present at the rally were staunch Huckabee supporters. Some wanted to know more regarding his platform.

“I really don’t know much about Mike. So I came here to learn about what he has to say about certain issues,” said Josue Pena, a St. Mary’s University business major. “Anything economic- the economy, the war, immigration.”

Others were present in support of his conservatism.

“I like his faith. He seems like a true conservative – pro-life, lowering taxes,” Young Conservatives of Texas (YCT) events coordinator Emily Gambler said.

Although he trails former Arizona senator John McCain, the atmosphere at the rally was predominately positive and hopeful. According to the Associated Press, McCain is in the lead holding 976 of the 1,191 delegates needed for the Republican nomination. Huckabee has 254 delegates.

“They know it’s not over until Texas says it’s over,” Huckabee said referring to political analysts suggesting he drop out of the race.

Despite the ground he needs gain to challenge McCain, Huckabee remains positive he can win Texas.

“If I win Texas, it will change the dynamics of this race. If we win Texas, all the talking heads in Washington will spend hours trying to figure out what happened,” Huckabee said.

USAA will host a town hall meeting with Senator John McCain on Feb. 28 at 12:30 p.m. at their headquarters in San Antonio.