Roadrunner baseball sweeps Texas A&M Corpus Christ out of San Antonio

baseball

Fresh off a victory over number 19 ranked Baylor, the Roadrunners returned home for a weekend series with the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders in the latest installment of the I-37 Rivalry.

Entering play on Friday, the Islanders were riding an eight-game winning streak and sat in a three way tie for third place.  The Roadrunners had just one win in conference but were trying to build on the win at Baylor.

The Roadrunners carried the day Friday by scoring six runs in the first two innings and tying a season high with 19 hits. 

The Islanders cut the lead in half in the top of the fifth with two runs, having already scored one run in the fourth, but a seven-run bottom of the fifth for the Roadrunners proved enough for the win.

On a sun-drenched Saturday, the starting pitchers for both teams threw a scoreless duel until the bottom of the fifth when Matthew James led off with a walk and then came around to score the first run of the day on a two-out Riley Good double that gave the Roadrunners a 1-0 lead.

The Roadrunners held the Islanders scoreless in the top half of the sixth and used a couple of walks and some timely hitting to -upping the advantage to 4-0.

The Islanders got a run back in the top of the seventh off a sacrifice fly, but three runs down would be as close as they got before the fireworks happened in the bottom of the seventh.

Following two quick outs, the Roadrunners were able to load the bases for Matthew James, who sent a ball flying over the left field fence for a grand slam home run that gave the Roadrunners an 8-1 edge going into the eighth inning.

The Islanders would get their final run of the day on a home run that made the score 8-2.

The Roadrunners got the sweep Sunday by erasing an 8-0 deficit with the help of a season high four home runs and pulling out a 14-10 win over the Islanders.