Bush bashed

Image

”One, two, three, four, we don’t want your unjust war! Five, six, seven, eight, we will not participate!”

Protesters chanted anti-Bush administration slogans on Alamo Street in front of HemisFair Park, and called for democratic justice during a rally on Oct. 5.

Among the crowd of more than 100 marchers were several UTSA students.

Many issues were protested by the crowd, including the war in Iraq, as the protesters marched to the Federal Building.

One protester drew chalk lines on the paved sidewalk, symbolizing the dead soldiers of the Iraq war, and wrote “No More” next to them.

Patriotism was also addressed. One sign read, “Impeachment is Patriotic” and another said, “Blind Faith in Bad Leadership is Not Patriotism.” These signs combined with the signs “Keep your theocracy off my democracy” and “Bush- Does he have to obey the law?” characterized the protest.

As cars passed by honking, protesters waved their signs and yelled out to the crowd. Some people took offense to the protest, however, including one passer-by who made an obscene gesture to the protesters while he honked in anger.

One protester proudly showed his new tattoo, which was identical to the sign he carried. It included a picture of Bush’s face above the words “Worst President Ever.”

”Ain’t no power like the power of the people, ’cause the power of the people won’t stop,” many protesters screamed.

The protest reached a climax when the participants marched to Mi Tierra Restaurant and Bakery to protest Congressman Henry Bonilla, who was speaking of his support of Bush and his views on immigration laws.

World Can’t Wait organized the protest and representatives spoke about the fascist actions of Bush and his administration.

”The Bush regime must be driven out,” one of the World Can’t Wait members said. “This criminal regime must leave office politically repudiated and thoroughly discredited.

”Anything short of that is unacceptable to the world, to our children and to the future.”