Women’s hoops ends Southland career and season with loss to UT Arlington

Roadrunner guard Judy Jones scored a career-high 29 points to go with 11 rebounds for a double-double, but it was not enough. The Roadrunner women closed out one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory with a 75-65 loss to a UT Arlington Maverick team which was also playing in its final game of the season.

“I thought we could come out tonight and win this game,” Head Coach Rae Rippetoe-Blair said following the loss. “I know these ladies have a lot of heart.”

Early on, it looked as though the Runners might be on their way to ending the season victoriously as they jumped out to an early lead that grew to as much as nine points, 22-13, with seven minutes left in the first half. The Mavericks responded by closing out the half on an 18-9 run to tie the score at 31 at halftime.

“We didn’t have as many turnovers tonight, but we fouled a lot,” Rippetoe-Blair said. “You can’t let them get to the line; they will get in rhythm.”

The second half was all Mavericks as they never trailed in the final frame and then withstood the Runner onslaught to hold onto the victory.

“I’ve never had a season like this,” Rippetoe-Blair said. “We went through a lot of adversity but I think our future is very bright.”

The Roadrunners finished the season with a 8-21 record overall. They ended their final campaign in the Southland Conference with a 4-12 record.