UTSA vs. A&M Corpus-Christi

Led by Kendra Rowland, who had 12 kills for the night, the Roadrunners shut down the A&M Corpus Christi Islanders (25-18, 27-25, 25-21).

In the first set there were six tied scores before the Roadrunners were able to go an  4-0 run and leave the Islanders trailing 12-8. At 13-10 an ace serve from the Islanders put them two points away from the Roadrunners, but a kills by Rowland Whitney Walls put the roadrunners up four. Very aggressive on the offensive front the Roadrunners were able to extend their lead to seven at 21-14.  The Islanders were able to get a few points towards the end of the set, but a service error and an attack error by the Islander gave the Roadrunners the final two points they needed to win the set.

The Islanders began the second set by leading the Roadrunners 5-3.  The Roadrunners quickly tied up the set at five.  At six all the Roadrunners went on a 5-0 run to put the score at 11-6.  Slowly the Islanders came back into the game and due to some attack errors in part of the Roadrunners the Islanders were able to tie the score at 14 all.  At 20 all the Islanders had two unanswered points that finally gave them the lead.  Just when it seemed that the Islanders might take the set, the Roadrunners tied the game at 24.  An error by the Islanders put the Runners one point away from victory, but the Islanders weren’t going to go away so easily.  The Islanders managed to tie the score again at 25, but kills by Brittney Malloy and Rowland sealed the victory for the Roadrunners.

In the third and final set the Roadrunners started off with four unanswered points, that left the Islanders immediately in a hole. The Islanders however were able to get within 2 points before Roadrunners went on a 3-point run that extended their lead to 8-3. The Islanders were still very much in this game, but the Roadrunners were intent on finishing this match in three sets. The Islanders continued to inch closer to the Roadrunners, and managed to get within a point of them at 21-20. The Runners took command again and followed up an attack error by the Islanders with kills by Rowland and Walls to win the set and keep their winning streak.

Much to the success the team has had this season can be attributed to a deep bench. 

“The fact that if anybody is having a bad game or I need to rest somebody I have a deep bench that I could pull anybody off, and we don’t miss a lick.” Head Coach Laura Groff, who had been recently named to the San Antonio Hall of Fame class of 2011 said.