San Antonio Talons bring pro football back to town

SA Talons

Fall-like weather welcomed Arena Football League fans to the Alamodome Saturday, March 10, when the newly relocated San Antonio Talons hosted the Utah Blaze in the season opener for both teams.

If the contest on March 10 was any indication, the newest member of San Antonio’s sporting family will give the established members a run for their money in terms of entertaining action and thrilling games.

The Talons opened up the day scoring a touchdown with 12:03 left in the first quarter to go up 7-0. The Talon defense held the Blaze scoreless on their first drive, but, after that, the afternoon turned into a fast-paced back and forth affair as both teams marched down the 50-yard distance field, and the points were placed on the scoreboard.

The two teams were even at 14 after one quarter and at 28 after the end of the second quarter. The Blaze attempted to star the second half with a kickoff return touchdown, but the Talons stopped them short. The Blaze went up 35-28 after Aaron Lesue caught a pass in the endzone from Tommy Grady. The Talons came back and answered with a score of their own, though the extra point went wide, making the score 35-34 halfway through the third quarter.

The Talons got one more touchdown before the quarter ended to go up 40-35.

The fourth quarter would see both teams score two touchdowns; the Blaze scoring 13 unanswered to go up 48-40 before the Talons responded with two of their own to make the final tally 54-48 in favor of the new Talons.

The Talons took the field for a second time at home on March 17 when they hosted the Spokane Shock. That game ended with the Talons falling by a score of 63-60.

The next chance to see the Talons at home will be on April 13 when the New Orleans Voodoo come into the Alamodome.