Royal court represents San Antonio during Fiesta

Queen1.jpg

For most students, Fiesta means parades, beer, having a blast with friends and non-stop parties, but to sophomore Natalie Ortiz, the 10 day event means much more than that. Ortiz has been crowned Miss Fiesta 2007 2nd Princess, which entails numerous obligations during Fiesta week.

“As part of the royal court, we attend multiple events that include: the Texas Cavaliers River Parade, the Battle of Flowers Parade and the Fiesta Flambeau Parade, which was created for the Miss Fiesta and her court to star in. We also make multiple appearances at schools and other events around the city” Ortiz said.

When it is time to have fun, Ortiz’s favorite event is the Fiesta Flambeau Parade, which is also the largest illuminated night parade in the nation and the inspiration for the Miss Fiesta Scholarship Pageant.

“Fiesta is all about celebrating San Antonio’s rich culture and diverse community” Ortiz said.

“As a member of the Miss Fiesta court and representatives of the Fiesta San Antonio Commission, we participate in this magnificent event. Part of the uniqueness of San Antonio is this annual celebration.”

Miss Fiesta isn’t your typical beauty contest, these women have to be able to represent themselves and the community by promoting and preserving the goodwill of the citizens of San Antonio through Miss Fiesta’s participation in Fiesta, San Antonio and other official events.

“As part of the royal court, we are able to serve as ambassadors of the city,” Ortiz said.

“I enjoy the opportunity to serve as a positive role model in the community.”

Since the finalists’ jobs are community based, it is important for the women to find fulfillment in what they are doing, which not only focuses on San Antonio, but also the importance of being significant Texas women. Three of the categories they are judged on are a skit portraying a woman in Texas history, a personal interview and an evening gown competition- an event Ortiz enjoys.

“I believe that I should always be myself in whatever endeavor I undertake. I pull from my strengths to play an active role in my community and continuously strive to learn and improve myself,” she said.

This isn’t the first charitable community based activity Ortiz has been involved with. In 2006, she was the Reina Feria de las Flores for LULAC Council 2, in which she said she is proud to have earned that title by raising over $31,500 for the ACCD