Duncan returns from injury, Spurs gear up for playoffs

The San Antonio Spurs had justcome off what was arguably one of their best weekends in regular season history. The Spurs became the first team to ever to win double overtime games in consecutive nights on the road, against Golden State and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Last Tuesday night the Spurs hosted the Portland Trail Blazers at the SBC Center and controlled the tempo from the beginning all the way to 95-89 victory which enabled the Spurs to win the Southwest Division and clinch the second seed in the playoffs.

Wednesday, the Spurs traveled to Salt Lake City to take on the Utah Jazz and struggled to find their shot through most of the game.

The Spurs got some good news prior to tipoff. Their leader, Tim Duncan, would play for the first time in three weeks. Duncan pitched in 17 points and 7 rebounds but was held out through most of the 4th quarter in a 93-91 loss to the Jazz.

After some much deserved rest, (Spurs played 6 games in 8 days) the Spurs came back to the SBC Center for the regular season home finale against the Memphis Grizzlies.

In front of a sold out crowd, the Spurs coasted to a 97-75 win with a balanced scoring attack, placing six players in double figures. They were led by Bruce Bowen who scored 15 points.

The Spurs saw a familiar face last night. For the second consecutive game, the Spurs took on the pesky Grizzlies in a tune up for the playoffs. The Spurs trailed most of the game but came back in the final minutes. The game was tied with 1.4 seconds left with the Grizzlies having possession.

The Grizzlies passed it to forward Mike Miller who sank a jump shot even though the clock had already expired. The referees had started the clock too early.

After a challenge and several minutes of discussion, the referees counted the shot enabling a 94-92 Grizzlies victory.