Soccer splits weekend bouts

DSC_0007.png

The Roadrunners (5-9) were impressive in their win over Nicholls State University (2-10) Friday night at Roadrunner Field, shutting out the Colonels, 5-0.

Forward Kari Weiland got the Runners rolling with a score off a corner kick in the seventh minute of the first half. Less than a minute later, forwards Halee Hamm and Alli Dillon paired up to score again for UTSA, giving them a 2-0 lead. Assisted by Stephanie Ogilvie and Jenna Pawelek, Dillon scored off a rebound, giving the Runners a 3-0 lead in minute 23 of the first half. Three minutes later, Dillon, assisted by Jodi Leroy, scored again, giving UTSA a 4-0 lead. The Runners took the lead into halftime.

UTSA spent most of the first half in possession of the ball with 17 shots on goal (SOG). The Runners’ constant offensive attack only allowed the Colonels four SOG during the first half.

The second half saw more of the same with UTSA having 13 SOG to the Colonels’ two. Forward Veronica Najera wrapped up UTSA’s scoring with a header in minute 27 of the second half.

UTSA’s offense was held in check Sunday against the Southeastern Louisiana Lions (SLU), falling 2-1 at Roadrunner Field.

SLU’s (4-1) Natalie Santana started things off quickly, scoring in the fourth minute of the first half off a corner kick to give the Lions an early 1-0 lead.

The Runners outshot SLU in the first half with six SOG to two from the Lions. It was 1-0 SLU at halftime.

In the second half, Hamm brought the Runners within one with a shot that slipped past SLU goalkeeper Lacey Bockhaus.

A turning point in the game came in minute 74 when Najera had a goal taken away from her. This happened due to a yellow card on Lions’ goalkeeper Lacey Bockhaus for colliding with Najera. Officials ruled that the infraction occurred before the goal was scored.

With 14 minutes to go in the second half, SLU’s Megan Zahnow sealed the game for the Lions with a shot over the head of UTSA goalkeeper Nicoline Joergensen, ending the game 2-1.

When asked about the outcomes of the weekend games, Head Coach Steve Ballard noted, “The quality of competition was better in SLU. We’re playing hard and well, but we just aren’t getting the results we need and aren’t following through.”

UTSA outshot SLU in Sunday’s matchup with 19 SOG to eight from SLU.

“We’ve lost two games where we have outplayed the other teams (McNeese State and SLU), but we just got to keep fighting to get two big victories this weekend,” Ballard said.

UTSA will try to get those two big wins when they play Stephen F. Austin (6-5) Friday, Oct. 17, at 7 p.m. in Nacogdoches and Sam Houston State (7-3) Sunday, Oct. 19, at 1 p.m. in Huntsville.

With a victory and a loss this past weekend, UTSA moves to 2-2 in Southland Conference Play and 5-9 overall.