UTSA soccer splits weekend games

IMG_4496.png

This weekend UTSA (4-8) ended their four game losing streak with a 2-0 win against the Lamar University Cardinals (2-6) Friday Night. They followed that win with a 4-2 loss to McNeese State (5-1) Sunday afternoon.

In game one, Forward Allison Dillon got UTSA rolling with an 18 yard strike in the 24th minute of the first half to give the Runners a 1-0 lead. They took that lead into halftime.

The first half saw 13 shots on goal (SOG) for UTSA compared to only four by the Cardinals.

In the second half, UTSA continued their offensive push with 10 more shots on goal.

With two minutes left in the game, the Runners sealed their victory with a goal from midfielder Jenny Munoz, assisted by fellow midfielders Kari Weiland and Kim Gonzales on a corner kick.

In game two, the Runners out-shot McNeese State 26-15 SOG, but were unable to capitalize on the margin, losing 4-2 Sunday afternoon.

McNeese State scored two goals in the first half to take a 2-1 lead going into the half.

After being down 3-1 in the second half, Freshman Bonnie Caulfield scored her first goal of the season to bring UTSA within one, 3-2. Unfortunately for the Runners, McNeese State scored in the 77th minute to win the game 4-2.

The Runners have two match-ups this week at Roadrunner Field. On Friday Oct. 10, they face Nicholls State (2-9) at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday Oct. 12, against Southeastern Louisiana (6-3-1) at 1:00 p.m.