Art’s top 10 picks for Wii and 3DS games this holiday season

Nintendo’s newest holiday releases

Nintendo Wii U

1. New Super Mario Bros. U

Mario, Luigi, Toad and all of the favorites are back in New Super Mario Bros. U for the Nintendo Wii U. This version puts you literally in the action of the game with the addition of your Mii character. Players can obtain a flying squirrel suit that allows characters to fly in the sky and run up walls. The Wii U GamePad sets the bar high with new interactive components and obstacles for players. Fans of the New Super Mario Bros. versions for the DS and original Wii will appreciate the consistency of the game and overall easy goals.

2. Nintendo Land for Nintendo Wii U

This fun family-friendly game comes exclusively with the 32gb model of the Wii U or can be purchased separately. Players can play various mini-games that are set in a theme park world. There are 12 mini-games in total, including some familiar titles that will get fans excited. The Legend of Zelda Battle Quest, Donkey Kong Crash Course, Mario Chase and Pikmin Adventure are just a few. The GamePad acts as the interactive element in the games that allows players to disrupt the progress of other players and in some cases kill them. Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is sure to be a favorite for the younger crowd as adorable Mii figures in bright animal costumes roam the obstacle course and try to eat as many candy gumdrops as they can before they get caught. Luigi’s Ghost Mansion is another interactive game that lets one player travel across the course invisibly as a ghost and attack other players.

3. Zombi U

In this adventure, it’s all about not being eaten and surviving each course unscathed. Zombi U is one of the newest first-person shooters to the Wii U and features grisly zombies and gory special effects. Every time you die you come back to life as a totally different person. Players can use the new shooting controller, the WiiU Pro controller, that’s styled like the controllers used in XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 games consoles. Zombii U features a multi-player option where one player uses the GamePad to implant zombies around the course. Zombi U is one of the only M-rated games featured on the Wii U system.

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

There’s not much to say about this game unless you’ve been living in a cave for the past year. CODBO2 combines online multi-player action, a new Zombies course and a new campaign that’s set after the events that took place in the first Black Ops. Gamers can also use the WiiU Pro Controller or the Classic Controller Pro in this version.

5. Just Dance 4

Show off your dance moves in the latest version of Just Dance. Over 40 chart-topping songs are featured, including Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass” Rihanna’s Disturbia, Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe” and Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up.” You can battle with other players in Dance Quests or learn the moves with the Alternative Choreography feature. Just Dance 4 also has a Just Sweat It Out feature where players can workout in the form of dance to their favorite songs.

Nintendo 3DS

1. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

America’s favorite Plummer is back in the latest installment of Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Two-dimensional characters have never been more appealing than in this colorful adventure. It’s up to Mario and Kersti to track all of the pieces of the Royal Stickers that were spread when Bowser made a Sticker Comet explode in the town of Decalburg. Players can use their stylus to collect the stickers and beat bosses. This time around, the objective of the game is to collect flashy stickers, which give more power.

2. Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d you steal our garbage?!

Jake the dog and Finn the human embark on an epic adventure after the Ice King steals their garbage to create a Garbage Princess. Fans of the show can expect the same quirky, offbeat humor that it is known for. LSP, Treetrunks, PB and other characters make cameos in the game. The collector’s edition includes a stylus in the form of Finn’s sword, a Land of Ooo poster map and the Book of Beasts’ Bestiary.

3. New Super Mario Bros. 2

Stomp Goombas, shoot fireballs and save the princess in this action-packed game, exclusively for the 3DS. Mario and Luigi team up once again to defeat Browser, but this time around the player must obtain as many gold coins as possible. Everything in the game can be turned into a gold coin using Mario’s gold fireball power. This side-scroller is bound to appear on the Christmas list of many gamers for the holiday season.

4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate

Join Trevor Belmont, a knight from the Brotherhood of Light, as he fights his father Dracula in the newest addition to the Castlevania series. Mirror of Fate takes place 25 years after Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and features eye-grabbing 3-D effects.

5. Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance

Sora and the gang are back in Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance. Gamers can play as either Sora or Riku as they continue their journey of becoming Keyblade Masters. Venture into the world of classic Disney movies and join Disney characters such as Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Ariel and Aladdin as they fight to restore power.