ACL in retrospect

This past weekend was the 10th annual Austin City Limits festival, also known as ACL, which this year hosted more than 100 artists from across the globe. The three-day festival consisted of varies genres of music, assuring that its concert-goers had a good time. loaded with fun and activities for everyone. ACL featured acts by artists Coldplay, My Morning Jacket, Big Boi, Bright Eyes, Nas & Damian Marley, Social Distortion, Kanye West, Stevie Wonder and Arcade Fire.

The festival takes place in the center of Austin on 46-acres of Zilker Park.This year the weather was welcomed by appreciative fans as Texas clous finally brought much needed rain. Sunday was a hot day, but cloud cover in the evening created a perfect ending to the festival as Arcade Fire played.

On the first day of ACL, fans showed their charity as they supported the Do Good Bus and raised $15,426 for the Red Cross and the Texas Wildfire Relief Fund. The total amount raised for charity doubled after Producers C3 Presents matched their pledge for a total of $30,852.

Aside from live music being played on multiple stages, attendees could enjoy a range of activities and foods. Food at ACL featured famous names such as Sweet Leaf Tea, Stubbs BBQ, and Amy’s Ice Cream. The incredible variety of music and delicious eats speak for Austin’s taste in music and food. The Austin City Limits Music Festival paints a picture which shows visitors what Austin stands for. What makes the Austin City Limits music festival particularly unique is the background its set in.

Children weren’t left out of the festivities of ACL. The Kiddie Corner offered many fun activities for the younger audience members present. The H-E-B Snack Shack offered healthy snacks while the H-E-B Zilker Beach set the scene for fun. Children could receive hip tattoos and rock star hair-dos, while activities like zumba, a lyrics workshop, a percussion workshop, an air band competition, action painting, and live karaoke were offered free of cost to keep the kiddies entertained.

Austin City Limits, the television show for which the music festival is named will be celebrating it’s 37th anniversary on Oct. 1, televising acts suchs as Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, the Black Keys and Sonic Youth.

Previous episodes can be streamed online at:

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/