Magical mystical ‘Cats’ arrives at the Majestic

“Cats” is a thrilling Broadway musical that has left countless audiences spellbound, garnered massive critical praise, and also holds the achievement of being the second longest running Broadway musical of all time. San Antonio residents and UTSA students will finally get an opportunity to experience the magical intrigue of “Cats” when it opens at the Majestic Theater on Jan. 31.

“Cats” features dazzling costumes, intricate dance moves, a spectacular light show, extreme feats of athleticism, a colorful cast of characters, and an operatic score that can be appreciated by people of all ages.

The musical is split into two acts, the first of which provides audiences with the background for the mysterious universe of “Cats” while also introducing many of the major characters in the play. The second act deals with the aftermath of the Jellicle Ball contest culminating in a musical finale that will stay with viewers long after the curtains close.

The plot follows a diverse group of Jellicle cats as they celebrate the Jellicle Ball. Individual cats and feline ensembles each audition to win a chance at being reborn into a new life. However, only one feline contestant can be chosen by the cat patriarch, Old Dueteronomy and journey to the fabled Heaviside lair to start life anew. Will the magical Mr. Mistoffelees enchant his way to a new beginning? Will the evil Macavity steal the show? Or will the extravagant tomcat Rum Tum Tugger prevail?

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cats” is based on T.S. Elliot’s “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats.” This simple children’s book quickly exploded into a pop culture phenomena when many of the book’s verses were accompanied by music, song, and dance when the Broadway play was first released. The song “Memory” is one of the only original pieces of music created for the play and is arguably the standout performance of the entire show.

“Cats” premieres at the Majestic Theater Tues. Jan. 31 and will show at 8:00 p.m. everyday until February 3. The February 4 show is at 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. The final day to catch a performance of “Cats” is on February 5, at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Majestic theater is located at 224 E. Houston Street. Individual tickets can be purchased online for only $17.50.

“Cats” the Broadway Musical is the purrrrfect way to celebrate a long weekend at the Majestic Theater.