San Antonio selected to host 2011 NCAA Regional

San Antonio will host the 2011 NCAA Men’s Basketball Southwest Regional at the Alamodome, as selected Monday by the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee. The dates are tentatively set as Friday, March 25, and Sunday, March 27.

With the selection, UTSA will serve as the host institution for its 11th NCAA basketball event since 1997, including its fifth men’s regional. Additionally, the Alamodome will serve as an NCAA basketball venue for the 10th time in a 15-year span. San Antonio’s collegiate basketball events have been hosted by the San Antonio Local Organizing Committee (SALOC), which is comprised of the City of San Antonio, San Antonio Sports, the Alamodome, and UTSA.

“We’re very excited and proud to have this opportunity to host another great NCAA basketball event,” said UTSA athletics director Lynn Hickey, who is in her third year as a member of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee.

“The San Antonio Local Organizing Committee is an outstanding group of experienced people who do an amazing job hosting these events, and we’re looking forward to putting on another great show. It will be a busy two-year span with the 2010 Women’s Final Four, the 2011 Women’s Volleyball Championship and the first year of UTSA football, but we’re looking forward to having an NCAA men’s basketball championship event back in the Alamo City.”

“As an official ‘NCAA Championship City’, San Antonio is pleased to be awarded the 2011 Southwest Regional and to grow our roster of collegiate tournaments and championships,” said San Antonio Local Organizing Committee executive director Jenny Carnes. “As with every event, our community will welcome the student-athletes and their fans to our beautiful city with the South Texas hospitality that’s become synonymous with college basketball in San Antonio.”

“It’s a pleasure for the City of San Antonio and the Alamodome to showcase the hospitality that has made the Alamo City a fan favorite throughout the years,” said Michael Sawaya, Convention, Sports and Entertainment Facilities Director. “We look forward to providing the 2011 NCAA Southwest Regional with a unique competition venue and we are committed to ensuring a most successful event.”