Gibson’s final showdown

gibson

For the last four seasons, Devin Gibson has donned the #21 UTSA Jersey and done things no other Roadrunner has done in the program’s 30 years. From becoming the NCAA steal king his freshman year to being the floor general on a conference finalist team his sophomore year. This year, his last in the orange and blue, Gibson has taken on the role of lone senior on what is the second youngest team in the nation.

Despite being the only senior, Gibson has not felt the pressure of being the team leader.

“At the beginning of the year I felt that pressure but towards the end I am just trying to enjoy it,” Gibson said. “Before and after every game, I just try to take it in.”

In his time at UTSA, Gibson has been a part of three senior nights and seen countless teammates make the walk onto the court one final time.

“That last time, to be honest I really don’t know how that is going to feel,” Gibson said. “I don’t know what emotions I will have; I am just going to take it all in and enjoy it.”

As the only senior, it would be easy to see Gibson as a mentor for the younger players, but at this point in the season, the teaching is done.

“Right now not so much, its towards the end of the season,” Gibson said. “Anything I could teach them I have probably said already.”

When Devin Gibson walks off the Convocation court for the last time on Wednesday, the debate as to whether he should be the third Roadrunner to have his number retired will begin.

“That would mean the most to me,” Gibson said. “Coming in here there was two things I wanted to do and that was to win a conference title and get my jersey retired.”

Gibson still has one chance to win that conference title.