Dive into DIIV

A talk with indie-alt band DIIV before their San Antonio performance
Courtesy of DIIV

As the resurgence of shoegaze music gains momentum, DIIV, an indie alternative band known for their distinctive blend of dreamy soundscapes, is making waves with their latest tour. Before their stop at the Aztec Theatre on June, 20, The Paisano had the opportunity to speak with band members Cole Smith, Andrew Bailey, Colin Caulfield and Ben Newman to discuss their North American tour, the new album “Frog In Boiling Water” and their experiences in the current music landscape.

Starting their tour in Texas, DIIV is set to perform in five major cities: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso. When asked about their extensive Texas itinerary, Ben explained the band’s approach.

“We’ve had a lot of really good shows all over Texas. Each city feels really distinct from the last; they all have their own unique vibe,” Andrew said. “We’re always surprised that so many people show up because we just played Texas the night before, but because it’s so spread out, it works.”

DIIV has a history with San Antonio, having previously played at Vibes Underground and the iconic Paper Tiger. Reflecting on their experiences at Paper Tiger, the band shared fond memories. “We’ve had some great shows there, the green room is like a house across the street,” Caulfield reminisced.

The band’s latest album, “Frog In Boiling Water,” marks their first full-length release since 2019’s “Deceiver.” The creation process was affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic. “At first, the pandemic was confusing because we weren’t sure if live music would come back,” Newman said. “We took some time off accidentally but then started making music again in phases. We were still kind of isolated from each other, so a lot more was just kind of like making demos on the computer.”

“As we started to get together again, making the album went through a bunch of different phases. There was the independent phase of us making stuff on our own and sending it to each other, and then we started to get together a bunch and make stuff in the room with each other. It was less rock than ‘Deceiver’; we would sit around a computer, pass guitars and synths back and forth, and try to improvise our way into songs.”

“Frog In Boiling Water” was produced by Chris Coady, a notable figure in the indie rock scene, known for his work with bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Beach House and Surf Curse. “We were fans of Chris’s work, and it was really nice to see how he fits into the dynamic. He brought a lot to the table, and we were really happy to work with him,” Bailey said.

“He was somebody we had always wanted to work with. Seeing how he works and what he brought to the table was really exciting.” Caulfield added.

In recent years shoegaze has seen a revival in popularity. Bands such as Glare — a Texas based shoegaze band — are gaining notoriety while famous acts like Slowdive are returning with new music. While DIIV is often associated with the genre, the band members expressed a desire to carve out their own unique sound. “With this album, we tried to be a bit more forward-looking and reference ourselves more, trying to do something a bit more our own,” Bailey said.  “Our past albums had a much more defined or minimal palette. With the new album, it felt like anything was possible, which made it both challenging and exciting,” Newman added.

“One thing we’ve managed to do pretty well as a band is continue to evolve. It’s exciting for us to explore new sounds,” Caulfield shared. “But I can’t say specifically what it’ll sound like; it doesn’t exist yet.”

For aspiring musicians, the band emphasized the importance of maintaining the joy of creating music. “Approach it as a hobby for as long as you can. It can burn you out if you’re too career-minded. Keep the fun element of it, and don’t take it too seriously,” Caulfield said.

“When it becomes a job, people often romanticize the early days when it was just for fun — value that period,” Bailey added.

As DIIV continues their tour, their growing popularity is evident. The band’s move to larger venues allows for more elaborate shows, complete with visuals and light displays. “It’s nice to be in a bigger venue where that’s possible,” Andrew said.

DIIV will be stopping to perform at the Aztec Theatre on June 20, with opening performances from untitled (halo) and They Are Gutting a Body of Water.

For more information on DIIV’s tour dates and music, visit their official website.