2014 NCAA men’s basketball tournament comes to San Antonio

In 2014 March Madness followers can officially add six games to their brackets, which will be hosted by UTSA. The games will be played at the AT&T Center in San Antonio on March 21 & 23 and they will be the ninth event of the NCAA Division I Tournament that UTSA will be a part of. The first four games will be played on the March 21 to determine the Round of 32 and the other two games on the March 23 will decide two schools will advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

This will be the first year that UTSA will host the Second and Third Round games and the first time NCAA Men’s Basketball post-season games will be played at the AT&T Center. Previously UTSA hosted the Regional and Final Four games including the 2008 Final Four where the Kansas Jayhawks won their third title.

“We’re very excited to be selected to host another great NCAA basketball event,” UTSA Director of Athletics Lynn Hickey said. “The San Antonio Local Organizing Committee, which is made up of the City of San Antonio, San Antonio Sports and UTSA, is an outstanding group of experienced people who do an amazing job hosting these events. We at UTSA are proud to be a part of that. We’re looking forward to putting on another great show.”Previous games hosted by UTSA have been played at the Alamodome, but this event will mark a change.

“Hosting a marquee event like the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament for the first time is a terrific opportunity,” Spurs Sports & Entertainment President of Business Operations Rick Pych said. “We are really looking forward to having the NCAA participants and fans share in the same great experience that Spurs fans have come to expect when they visit the AT&T Center.” The AT&T Center has held an NCAA Division I Women’s College Basketball Tournament game in 2006.

The 2014 NCAA also has chosen to keep the Final Four in the Lone Star State. Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington will be hosting the Final Four Championship games on April 5 and 7 and the game is expected to break the NCAA attendance record for any game if it sells out. The Final Four weekend festivities have yet to be disclosed, but the North Texas Local Organizing Committee is said to decide on them soon.  

UTSA Men’s Basketball has made it to the NCAA Tournament four times 1988, 1999, 2004 and 2011. The ‘Runners clinched the school’s first ever NCAA tournament game victory in any sport in 2011, a 70-61 win over Alabama State.