UTSA falls to rival Texas State

Sports-mensbb(jeffrey waters)

For any university’s sport program, big or small, therival game is the most important—UTSA is no exception. On Jan. 19, the UTSAmen’s basketball team lost, in an upsetting manner, to Texas State 81 – 78.

The Bobcats’ victory over the Roadrunners extended UTSA’slosing streak to seven and snapped Bobcats nine game losing streak.

“You always want to win the rival game, but sometimes theball doesn’t fall your way. We got to keep pushing for a win,” senior pointguard Michael Hale III said.

With a stouthearted performance, Hale scored a career andteam high of 31 points.

“I wish I could’ve gotten a win with it,” Hale said.

Key injuries, as of late, to Jeromie Hill and A.J. Pricehave hampered UTSA’s cohesiveness on offense and defense. Because of the injuries, players haveto switch positions, which has been an advantage for teams playing UTSA.

“We’re playing so many guys out of position. We can’t runthe sets we normally want,” Head Coach Brooks Thompson said.

And the Bobcats capitalized. Texas State had five playersscore in double figures: Corey Stern (18), Phil Hawkins (13), Koenen Reid (10),Ray Dorsey (23) and Joel Wright (16).

The Roadrunners held a six- point lead with 3:41 left inthe second half. Texas State came back to tie the game. The ‘Runners had afinal opportunity to get their first-ever WAC victory, but the Bobcats divertedthe loss: Kannon Burrage took an awkward jump shot after spinning half way intohis defender and throwing up the shot off the back of his heel.

During overtime, the Roadrunners scored first, but theBobcats quickly went on a 9-2 run to outlast the Roadrunners.

“We’re so limited. There wasn’t a whole lot of things wecould do. It’s back on the road. Hopefully, we can get back to the drawing boardtonight,” Thompson said.

UTSA hits the road, yet again, to play Seattle on Jan. 24and Idaho on Jan 26. The Roadrunners don’t return to the Convocation Centeruntil Jan. 31 when they play Denver at 7 p.m.