Local events: week of February 5

Tuesday, Feb. 5

10 a.m. Exhibit: “Aphrodite and the Gods of Love”

The San Antonio Museum of Art (200 W. Jones St.) presents“Aphrodite and the Gods of Love,” an exhibit featuring 125 statues, vases,jewelry and other valuables organized by the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.Admission is $3-$8.

2 p.m. Exhibit: Justin Randolph Thompson: “Meet Me In theBottoms”

Blue Star Contemporary Art Center (116 Blue Star) presents“Meet Me In the Bottoms,” an exhibit that highlights the issue of workersaffected by working conditions in the shoeshine trade. Admission is $3-$5.

Wednesday, Feb. 6

9 a.m. Exhibit: “Texas Contemporary Artist Series: LuisaWheeler”

The Institute of Texan Cultures (801 E. Caesar Chavez)presents work from artist Luisa Wheeler as part of its Texas ContemporaryArtist Series. Wheeler, an Eagle Pass native, explores the bold and thebeautiful in her work of photographs and sculptures. Admission is $6-$8.

2 p.m. Exhibit: “Dirty Dozen”

Blue Star Contemporary Art Center (116 Blue Star) presents“Dirty Dozen,” an exhibit featuring work from San Antonio and Houston artists.Admission is $3-$5.

8 p.m. UCPC Coffeehouse: Cas Haley

University Center Program Council (UCPC) presents music fromCas Haley as part of its Coffeehouse series. The event will be held in the UCSki Lodge (UC 1.01.00). Admission is free for all UTSA students.

Thursday, Feb. 7

10 a.m. Exhibit: “Tal Palo Tal Astilla”

UTSA Art Gallery (Main Campus) presents “Tal Palo Tal Astilla,”an exhibit that chronicles the work of artists working within and outside the borderbetween the U.S. and Mexico. Admission is free.

Noon Exhibit: “Transitios”

Artpace (445 N. Main Ave.) presents “Transitios,” a groupshow that highlights the themes of culture, economy and miscommunication.Artists showcased in the exhibit include Ricardo Cuevas, Miguel Monroy, JoseAntoni, Vega Macotela and Maximo Gonzalez. Admission is free.

6 p.m. Exhibit: “Borrowed People/Constructed Places”

Blue Star Contemporary (116 Blue Star) presents “BorrowedPeople/Constructed Places,” an exhibit featuring work from Anne Leighton, LibbyRowe and Kris Sanford. The exhibit is featured in the UTSA Satellite Space.Admission is free for High School and College students.

Friday, Feb. 9

9 p.m. UCinema Night: The Man with the Iron Fists

Russell Crowe, Lucy Liu, Jamie Chung, RZA and Rick Yune starin the action flick about a village blacksmith and his companions who arefighting to save their home village. The feature will be shown in the RetamaAuditorium (UC 2.02.02). Admission is free for all UTSA students.

Saturday, Feb. 10

9 a.m. Exhibit: “Art in the Garden”

The San Antonio Botanical Garden (555 Funston) presents “Artin the Garden,” an outdoor installation that features work from members of theTexas Sculpture Group. Admission is $5-$8.

8 p.m. Theatre: “Red”

The San Pedro Playhouse (800 W. Ashby) presents “Red,” adrama that follows painter Mark Rothko, a New York City artist. Admission is$10-$25.

Sunday, Feb. 11

10 a.m. Exhibit: “Fiesta, Fete, Festival”

The historical roots of “Fiesta” are celebrated throughoutthis exclusive exhibit that commemorates the origin of the cultural phenomenon.The McNay Art Museum (6000 N. New Braunfels Ave.) presents “Fiesta, Fete,Festival,” as part of its Tobin Collection. Admission is $5-$10.