UTSA Honors College Hosts the ‘Great Conversation’ Dinner and Fundraiser

It’s not Facebook and it’s not twitter—it’sjust good conversation.

UTSA’s Honors College will host the annual‘Great Conversation!’ fundraiser to support thw Honors College scholarships at6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26. The event, held at the Institute of Texan Cultures,will offer 38 tables dedicated to conversations in the areas of arts, business,education, politics and science.

This signature event will host prominentcommunity leaders andUTSA professors leading stimulating conversations like Preserving Native AmericanCulture, Can Women Have It All? and Unlocking the Secret of Stem Cells.

Students attending the event will have theopportunity to network and meet influential people. The event is held to helpraise money to support scholarships for Honors College students; however, theconversations raise awareness about significant cultural and intellectualtopics that affect UTSA students and San Antonio community members.

The ‘Great Conversation!’ which began as alecture series led by Harriett Romo from the UTSA Department of Sociology, hasprovided support to hundreds of students over the past 10 years. Currentsponsors include The Wells Fargo Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Alpha BuildingCorporation and H-E-B.

This year, a portion of the proceeds will goto the creation of an endowment in support of learning opportunities outsidethe classroom. The endowment will have three programs: the Archer FellowsProgram (D.C.), Legislative Scholars (Austin), and the Summer Law SchoolPreparation Academy (San Antonio).

Table conversations will be led by PresidentRicardo Romo on What makes Vincent Van Gogh so Famous, Davis Spencer on Beer,BBQ and a Bus: Texas Tailgating Secrets and Mary McNaughton-Cassill from thedepartment of psychology on Mind the Gap: How Do We Cope With Stress in theModern World?

Tickets range from $65 for UTSA Alumni and$85 for individuals. To purchase tickets, call 210-458-5162 or visit the ‘GreatConversation!’ website at utsa.edu/greatconversation.