UTSA opens up WAC play with a sweep of Texas State

Sports-softball(will)

Building on a strong start to the season, the Roadrunners finished an 11-game roadtrip by winning three games against the Texas State Bobcats over the weekend.

On Friday, March 22, UTSA (18-12, 3-0 WAC) won a doubleheader, 3-1 and 5-0. The following day, the result was no different for Texas State (5-25, 0-3 WAC), as the Roadrunners completed the sweep with a 3-1 win.

The victories ended a four-game losing streak to the Bobcats, which dates back to April 2011.

The weekend was highlighted by superb pitching performances by the ‘Runners starting rotation, led by senior Haylee Staton (9-4, 2.34 ERA). During game 2, UTSA pitcher Alyssa Vordenbaum (7-5, 2.45 ERA) gave up only four hits in her first complete game shutout of the season.

Staton and Vordenbaum worked in tandem in the final game with Staton, again, giving up only one unearned run on four hits in five innings.Vordenbaum relieved Staton and pitched two scoreless innings with four strikeouts to capture her second save of the season.

For the series, UTSA outscored Texas State 11-2 and outhit them 23-12, continuing the Roadrunners’ consistent offensive output this season.UTSA is hitting .290 as a team while holding opponents to .251.

Sophomore catcher Megan Low, one of three Roadrunners to play all 30 games so far this season, drove in one run in both games on Friday, which included a home run during the night game.It was Low’s fifth of the year as she is hitting. 400 with 23 RBIs, placing her second in the WAC.

As conference play begins, UTSA has 20 games remaining including 11 home games and nine road games before the conference tournament.The ‘Runners currently stand second in the WAC, only two games behind the San Jose State Spartans (22-10, 3-0 WAC).

UTSA will return home against the Spartans on Friday, March 29 for a three-game set at Roadrunner Field.Friday’s first pitch is set for 4 p.m., followed by a doubleheader on Saturday.